- Black eyed beans 2 cups (peeled and cleaned.
- Palm oil/vegetable oil – 1/3 cup
- Medium Onion – 1/2 (chopped)
- Eggs – 6 (Boil 4 eggs, peel and slice)
- Red bell pepper (tatashe) – 1 (chopped)
- Crayfish powder (ede) – 1 tablespoon
- Scotch bonnet pepper (ata rodo) – 1- 2
- Maggi – 2 cubes
- Salt- *to taste*
Other : Banana leaf for wrapping (optional)
Other: One large deep pot for steaming or baking round loaf pans or cup cake pans
- Prepare the beans – The beans can be Pre soaked in warm water (preferably overnight) or can be soaked for a few minutes before removing skin.
- To remove skin, please add the beans into a bowl, sprinkle a handful of water and start squeezing with your hands. This is the easiest way to wash beans; you would be through in 20 minutes. You can add a little more water but don’t allow it to soak; continue squeezing until it starts shading off the outer coat, you’d probably be doing this for about 3 minutes. Then use sieve to filter off the skin and black eye.
- To achieve desired result, make sure the entire skin is removed with the black eye till beans (peas) is white.
- Combine beans, red bell pepper, onion and and 1 cup water in a blender, blend until you have a very smooth batter
- Pour the batter into a large bowl, Crack the left over eggs into the batter. Set aside
- Dissolve salt, palm oil, crayfish and bouillon/maggi cube in 2 tablespoons of boiling water, set aside to cool. once cooled add to batter
- a spatula or turning pin or electric mixer or the egg whisker is also very effective- Mix the batter thorough ( this is to incorporate air into the batter and fluff the resulting moi moi. mix for about 10 minutes) . Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- If using palm oil, bleach on high heat for 2 minutes and set aside to cool. Add cooled oil to batter (DO NOT ADD HOT OIL into batter)
- Add 4 cups water to a large pot, set on high heat and bring to a boil
- Oil the pan, pour half of the batter into the loaf pan, add in the sliced boiled eggs, pour in the left over batter. Cover the loaf pan tightly with some aluminum foil
- the batter filled loaf pan in the pot of water ( it shouldn’t be covered in water), place a tight lid over the pot and reduce the heat to medium. Steam for 45-60 minutes
- Instead of steaming the moimoi, you can also bake it in the oven. Simply place the loaf pan in a bigger loaf pan filled with water. Bake covered at 350F for 25-35 minutes or until set.
Voila! ready to Serve and enjoy moi oi with a side of Pap (Ogi), cutard, jollof, bread or alone.