Hey! everyone. I love to watch Racheal Ray’s show, I think most of us do. In one of her recent shows, she talks about wanting to one day be able to prepare an African meal on her show.
Wow! yeah I think that would really be nice and I would like to take her on this as a challenge and send her some of my personal recipe, learnt from my mum and grand mum. Pure and real tasty African delicacies.
Well! here is one dish I love. its a fast meal prepared sometimes by mums back home as supplement lunches in kids lunch pack but I just love it. Palm oil rice is good and can be for breakfast, lunch or dinner. For those in Western world, palm oil and dried prawn is sold in African stores and some Asian store but be sure to get the right pure red one. I love adding images to help.
- 2-3 cups of medium long grain rice
- 2-3 cooking spoons of palm oil
- 3 crushed Habanero peppers or Ata-rodo
- Garlic and ginger as needed(optional)
- 1 medium sized onion
- cup of chopped Basil or scent leaves
- 1 tablespoon dry grinded pepper or red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons of ground crayfish
- 300g of kpomo (cow skin), cut into tiny pieces
- cup whole dry prawns, optional
- 1 large dry fish or smoked fish (or 4 small ones)
- 3 seasoning stock cubes
- 2 cups of meat stock or plain water
- Add water to the rice and place on heat to boil for 5 minutes, then rinse and keep aside.
- Place a dry pot on heat and add enough palm oil to it, and heat it up for 3 seconds.
- Add onions and garlic, and then fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the kpomo (cow skin) and the dried fish to the content and stir.
- Add meat stock to it and season the content with seasoning cubes, crayfish, ginger and salt.
- Add the rice to the content and stir very well to combine, add more water to the rice if needed and taste for salt and adjust.
- Bring the rice to a boil and keep checking it from time to time to see the level of water. Meanwhile, pluck the basil from the stalk and shred into small sizes
- Once the rice is dried, add the chopped basil and stir very well.
- Leave the rice to cook for another 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Take the rice off from heat and serve it as you want.